Date:      Sun, 21 Jun 1998 22:08:01 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        robert@chalmers.com.au
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Robert Chalmers <robert@nanguo.chalmers.com.au>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is using fdisk a must?

> Mike Smith wrote:
> > b) proceed as follows, for the disk 'foo'.
> >
> > # dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/foo count=16
> > # disklabel -rwB foo auto
> > # disklabel -e foo
> >  [set the disk type to SCSI or ESDI (for IDE disks),
> >   add partitions to suit]
>
> This of course builds a _bootable_ disk, right?  The -B loads a boot image.

-B puts the bootblocks on the disk, yes.

> Least wise it did on mine, and I had the devil of a job disabling it, and
> rebooting off the correct, primary, drive.

If the disk is first in the boot sequence, then not putting bootblocks
on it will just make more of a mess.  You should not be adding a disk
earlier in the sequence unless you intend to boot from it.

> I have the drive up and running, it just gives the 'no magic' warning at boot
> time... as mentioned in the first post.
> I can include the disktab/disklabel output if you like, but nowhere does
> disklabel/disktab allow the input of 'magic numbers'.

The magic numbers are generated automatically.

> Which led to the question, is fdisk a must? I mean, sysinstall starts with
> fdisk itself!

You can operate in two basic modes; sliced and unsliced.  If you start
with fdisk, then you are slicing.  If you start with a blank disk and
go straight to disklabelling, then you're unsliced.

> I am beginning to believe that FreeBSD simply has no facility for
> building new drives from disktab entires entirely?

Disktab entries are, as a general rule, redundant.  Use 'auto' instead
as I outlined above.

(Yes, disktab entries work like they always have.  But being forced to
 create a new entry for every new disk or slice is stupid.  Don't use
 them.)