Date:      Tue, 17 Jan 2017 09:52:43 +0100
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartmann@walstatt.org>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Auto-dropping serial console connection: foo takeover

--Sig_/h=jlYgXMk/5TbSzjacfT9mv

Hello list.

Havin a FreeBSD based router connected to a service PC via serial console/n=
ull modem
cabling, I realised that using "tip ucom1fast" gives me access to the conso=
le even if I
simply close the terminal window (X11/xterm) and reconnect again on the ver=
y same box.

I detail: loggin in into the router (FreeBSD 12-CURRENT) via "tip ucom1fast=
" gives a
console, on which I can  log in as root. Doing so, working on the remote bo=
x and then
closing the X11 terminal, wait a few minutes, say, 15 minutes, opening anot=
her X terminal
and performing "tip ucom1fast" again, provides me with the same still logge=
d in session
as before! I waited for ~ 60 - 70 minutes and had success the very same way=
 - I gained
root access to the console if root was logged in before the way described. =
I consider
this very dangerous.

I tried to enbale auto logout on csh, which works, I also enabled auto logo=
ut on ssh
sessions, which works well, too. But the FreeBSD "sh" seems to be acient in=
 a way and
doesn't provide any kind of auto logout or auto termination of the session =
neither did I
have success with /etc/login.conf and setting ":idletime=3D10m:".

The big question is: how can I auto logout a user, even on the console?

Please CC me, I'm not a subscriber of the list.

Thanks in advance,

Oliver

--=20
O. Hartmann

Ich widerspreche der Nutzung oder =C3=9Cbermittlung meiner Daten f=C3=BCr
Werbezwecke oder f=C3=BCr die Markt- oder Meinungsforschung (=C2=A7 28 Abs.=
 4 BDSG).