Date:      Fri, 19 Feb 1999 19:12:13 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chris Hill <jchill@gueuze.dgsys.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Stupid networking question - dynamic IP

The local cable TV company will be offering "cable modem" service here
soon, with the promise of enormously faster speeds. The cable modem
connects via 10baseT ethernet. However, they do not offer static IP
addresses.

Question: is it possible to configure an ethernet card to use a
server-assigned IP address? "Man ifconfig" doesn't mention this topic at
all.

BTW, I'm running 2.2.7-RELEASE and my current card uses the ed device. I'd
need a second card if I were to do this.

All advice gratefully accepted - thanks in advance!

--
Chris Hill        jchill@dgsys.com