Date:      Mon, 26 May 1997 11:54:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Handbook slicing

On Sun, 25 May 1997, John Fieber wrote:

> What do people think about dividing up large document (eg, the
> handbook) in to smaller HTML chunks?  I don't much care for how

I think it's a wonderful idea.  I'd like even fewer chunks, say
eight to ten (maximum) that can be printed separately, e.g., Chapter 1;
Chapters 2-4; Chapter 5 (maybe also 6); Chapter 7; Chapters 8-11;
Chapters 12-15; Chapters 16-22; and all Appendices.

About the maximum length of any of these (I don't know the length of
most of them) should be that of Chapter 7, which was 58 pages when
I printed it.

If downloaded as html source, the handbook looks great printed from
Netscape, and the formatting is retained.

If downloaded as text it's printable from dos without further
processing, which is one solution to the need for a plain text copy
of the handbook.

Annelise