Date:      Fri, 08 Oct 2004 14:43:44 +0930
From:      Wayne Sierke <ws+freebsd-questions@au.dyndns.ws>
To:        scott@sremick.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to NOT load AGP?

On Fri, 2004-10-08 at 10:14, Scott I. Remick wrote:
> Background:
>
> My computer likes to lock up sometimes in XFree86. This last time it was
<snip>
> All along I've been using the FreeBSD AGP. I'm thinking maybe I need to try
> nvidia's (some people swear one way, some the other... if only there was
> consensus!).
>
> So I try rebuilding my kernel w/o "device agp". Except the kernel build
> bombs at a weird point. Unable to find any reference to other people failing
> there, I suspect a corrupt /usr/src (perhaps due to one of my many lockups).
> So I rm -R and re-cvsup it. Then the build works. I also made sure that
> agp_load="YES" was commented out of my /boot/loader.conf file. Well, upon
> rebooting I still see agp loading, confirmed w/ kldstat. So I try
> uncommenting the line but changing it to "NO". Reboot, same thing. I do some
> more research, and try adding hint.agp.0.disabled="1" to my
> /boot/device.hints file. Reboot, but AGP is still loading. Argh. I can't
> even use kldunload to remove it.

I'm assuming you have the nvidia-driver port installed? Text below is
from /usr/X11/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0/README.

         hint.agp.0.disabled="1"

        If you're using FreeBSD 5.2.1 or another -CURRENT kernel that
        does not yet
        offer this functionality, the following patch will enable it:

         /usr/X11R6/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0/agp.ko-hints.diff

My 5.2.1-RELEASE-p4 didn't support it without patching, I'll have to
check but I don't think I used it in the end.

Does your XF86Config contain the following entries in 'Section
"Device"':

                Driver      "nvidia"
                Option      "NvAGP" "1"

I'm pretty sure this (the 'Option "NvAGP" "1"') is what did it in the
end for me. If it doesn't appear to work, don't forget to verify which
config X is using by checking your XFree86.0.log or :0.log for the line:

(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/XF86Config"

Wayne