Date:      Thu, 14 May 1998 18:19:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Rescanning SCSI-Bus without Rebooting?

if your scanner is uk0 then it has already been found and no
amount of reprobing will write a driver for it.

uk stands for "unknown"
there is no scanner driver

did it come up as uk0 in the dmesg?

if so you ar ewher eyou wnt to be..
if not then do as the example you quote says
AND USE sd0!
you cannot use uk0 until IT HAS BEEN FOUND
so you need to ask the scsi system via some OTHER scsi device that
actually exists.