Date:      Wed, 17 Jul 2002 21:32:33 -0400
From:      Jud <jud@myrealbox.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org, harsha godavari <h.godavari@shaw.ca>
Cc:        simond@irrelevant.org
Subject:   Re: Release 4.5 and 4.6 - Boot.flp 2.8 mb?

7/17/2002 8:20:56 PM, harsha godavari <h.godavari@shaw.ca> wrote:

>Simon Dick wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 17, 2002 at 07:26:27PM +0000, Richard Durham
wrote:

>> > I have checked both releases 4.5 and 4.6, the boot.flp file is
2.8mb?? How
>> > can that be transferred to a single floppy?
>> > I've searched everywhere and found no answers.
>> > When trying to copy to a floppy Rawrite just registers an error -
bad
>> > sector: 1
>> >
>> > Should the file be split and if so how?
>>
>> The 2.88mb floppy image is usually used to boot the cdrom, or for
people
>> with 2.88mb floppy drives. If you have the more common 1.44mb
one then
>> you need to write kern.flp and mfsroot.flp to seperate floppies.
>>
>> --
>> Simon Dick                                      simond@irrelevant.org

>Simon:
>       I prepared both kern.flp & mfsroot.flp. When i tried to format
>one of those  into a DOS bootdisk, it was formatted but without the
>system files. Scandisk showed sectors marked "bad". The disk was
>unbootable. Is there anyway that that disk can be cleaned up?
>
>Regards
>Harsha Godavari

Whoa there, Harsha - kern.flp and mfsroot.flp will take care of booting
your machine into a FreeBSD installation all by themselves.  No DOS
boot disk required.  (Yes, operating systems other than Windows -
FreeBSD, Linux, etc. - can boot your computer.:)  Just two freshly
formatted *empty* disks are required on which to image (with the
fdimage utility) kern.flp and mfsroot.flp.

Jud