Date:      Sun, 14 Oct 2007 10:37:36 -1000
From:      Clifton Royston <cliftonr@lava.net>
To:        FreeBSD hackers list <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   A more tenuously package-related question

  I used to use pkg_update from the 'pkg_install-devel' toolset to
upgrade systems via replacement of binary packages.  Its implementation
had some minor flaws - it was essentially a perl wrapper for an
iterative "pkg_delete -f" followed by "pkg_add -f", which made it
problematic to upgrade either the perl or pkg_install packages, for
instance - but the core idea was excellent.  Despite those flaws it was
very useful in maintaining servers via binary packages, because it
would reconnect the pkgdb dependencies on the old package version to
the new package version.  However, it's not part of the current base
package tools.

  Is there any better equivalent tool at the moment, or should I just
resuscitate the old "pkg_update"?  I browsed through
/usr/ports/ports-mgmt, but didn't spot anything which did this
seemingly simple and important function.  (The "pkg_replace" function
*sounds* promising but has almost no information on what it actually
does.)

  -- Clifton

--
    Clifton Royston  --  cliftonr@iandicomputing.com / cliftonr@lava.net