Date:      Wed, 26 Sep 2001 00:07:00 -0400
From:      "Kennie H. Jones" <khjones@w3rite.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   dhcp & cable, @home (help me fight the MS monopoly)

I am trying to connect a new FreeBSD installation with COX cable's broadband @home network using DHCP. They, of course, install only Windows machines and in no way support any flavor of unix. My Windows machine works fine. You simply say in the networking setup that you want to have your ISP configure the IP address dynamically (use DHCP). They also require the host name and Windows machine name (Identity) be set to a value they assign.

In installing FreeBSD, when I get to the part of the installation that configures the network, I answered no to trying IP6. The next question is, "Want to try DHCP?" I answered yes. It looked for a DHCP server for a few minutes and then the form came up to enter all of the network configuration info (host name, domain name, IP address, name server, etc). All fields were blank; should have been filled by DHCP. I filled out the host name and domain with the ones assigned by COX. It asked to bring up the network and I said yes. It brought me back to the the menus as if done. However, I could not ping anything on the network. I tried rebooting but it did not work.

The docs say to add "ifconfig_fxp0="DHCP" to the /etc/rc.conf file where fxpO is replace by the NIC id (x10 in my case). I assume this is done by /stand/sysinstall when asking to setup for DHCP, but when mine failed, it did not do so.

I assume the FreeBSD DHCP client if failing to communicate properly with the COX DHCP servers. I think it may have something to do with not identifying the clientID(??) they gave me, cx......-a properly but I do not know how to make sure that works. I set my hostname to that value and I assume the DHCP scripts use that by default.

Any ideas how to make this work?

Someone suggested: set static IP address. I also have heard @home never changes their IP's given out with DHCP, but what happens if they do? What happens when they renew the lease (which they will do periodically) and you are not running the dhcp client?

Kennie H. Jones
757-868-7567