Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 1995 20:46:18 -0800 (PST)
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        jbryant@server.iadfw.net
Cc:        Didier Derny <didier@aida.remcomp.fr>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with pop3

On Tue, 21 Mar 1995 jbryant@server.iadfw.net wrote:

> In reply:
> > Subject: Problem with pop3
> > Date: Tue, 21 Mar 1995 22:43:14 +0100
> > From: Didier Derny <didier@aida.remcomp.fr>
> >
> Along this same thread, the berkeley popper [1.9.3?] wreaks havoc under
> 950210-SNAP.  It seems to copy each message once the first time a user
> grabs his mail, then copies each message 4 times the next time, and so
> forth, after 4 attempts in testing, a 3-4 meg mailbox grew to 140megs, I
> didn't test the progression further, I only have a gig set aside for
> /var... also I didn't have the time to check the berkeley sources for the
> incompatability between our previous BSDI server and the FreeBSD we run
> now, when you have as many users as us breathing down yer neck in a
> complete OS switchover...

well..  It didn't take me that long to fix the problems...  I had
problems running qpopper and the qpopper source was totally unreadable by
me...  I fixed the problems that plaged berkly pop (includes 2.0)... the
port is in incoming if you want to look at it..

what the main problem with Berkly popper is that it wasn't truncicating
the mail file...  didn't take much to fix... I have been the only one to
test it that I know of...  it would be nice to know if it works on other
systems...

John-Mark Gurney

gurney_j@efn.org -or-
gurney_j@4j.lane.edu -or-