Date:      Fri, 30 Oct 1998 12:31:10 +0000
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott@dcs.qmw.ac.uk>
To:        Oleg Bespolitov <gelo@info.ssu.samara.ru>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NIS client setup

On Fri, Oct 30, 1998 at 02:55:43PM +0400, Oleg Bespolitov wrote:
> Will the FreeBSD NIS client work with a Solaris NIS server?

Should do.  It works fine with various SunOS servers here.

> NIS server is running Solaris 2.6(SunOS 5.6), SUN Netra-I.
> NIS client is running FreeBSD 2.2.7-RELEASE, IBM Pentium-166.
> How is setup NIS client on FreeNSD?

In /etc/rc.conf you need to set the following:

nisdomainname="whatever your NIS domain is"
nis_client_enable="YES"
(you might need to set flags for ypbind/ypset -- I don't)

You need to tweak (at least) /etc/passwd and /etc/group to use the NIS db.
'man 5 passwd' and 'man 5 group' tell you what you should add to these
files.  Various other files (such as /etc/ethers) can be configured to pick
up info from NIS as necessary.  The manpages are your friend here.

If you use amd to mount home directories etc, it can pick up map files from
the NIS server as well.

Enable NIS in /etc/host.conf.

If your servers are using DES passwords (they probably are) you'll need to
install the secure distribution.  Don't download it from a US server if
you're not in the US/Canada.

What have I forgotten?

	Scott.