Date:      Thu, 10 Aug 2000 09:55:35 -0600
From:      Joe.Warner@smed.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Device not configured?  Please Help.

Hi,

  In an effort to start backing up my file systems, I've installed an
Adaptec 2944 Ultra SCSI adapter and an Exabyte EXB-8505DT (8mm/5gb) tape
drive.  I've compiled support for the SCSI adapter into my kernel and after
rebooting, my system recognized it but for some reason, I can't access the
tape drive.  When I try to access the tape drive using the mt command (mt
status or mt erase), I just get the message mt: /dev/nrsa0:  Device not
configured.  The information in my books and The FreeBSD Handbook indicated
that all SCSI controllers use the same set of /dev entries, so you don't
need to create them.
     Here is the part of my dmesg where it recognizes the SCSI card:

real memory  = 67108864 (65536K bytes)
avail memory = 62357504 (60896K bytes)
Preloaded elf kernel "kernel" at 0xc02c5000.
Pentium Pro MTRR support enabled
Probing for devices on PCI bus 0:
chip0: <Intel 82443LX host to PCI bridge> rev 0x03 on pci0.0.0
chip1: <Intel 82443LX PCI-PCI bridge> rev 0x03 on pci0.1.0
ahc0: <Adaptec 2944 Ultra SCSI adapter> rev 0x01 int a irq 11 on pci0.2.0
ahc0: aic7880 Wide Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 16/255 SCBs
xl0: <3Com 3c905B-TX Fast Etherlink XL> rev 0x30 int a irq 11 on pci0.4.0

Should there be a line in dmesg that shows the system is recognizing the
tape device as well?  What do I need to do to configure the tape device so
that I can access it?  I've done a good deal of research on this subject
and have even searched the archives but haven't found any useful
information.  Any help or information anyone could provide would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe