Date:      Wed, 10 Sep 1997 17:08:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom <tom@sdf.com>
To:        "Pedro Giffuni S," <pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co>
Cc:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>, Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Major bogon in tcp_wrappers port.

On Wed, 10 Sep 1997, Pedro Giffuni S, wrote:

> > On the other hand ... how much overhead does it bring ?
> > Every time when an inetd related service is being started,
> > the (of course small) tcpd program has to be executed.
> >
> Correct, it seems like xinetd doesn't have this problem, but I haven't
> used it.

  Yes, I use xinetd heavily.  For services that get hit thousands of times
a day, xinetd is only way to go.  The only drawback, is that it will will
only do access control by IP, because it cannot do DNS lookups (take too
long).

> IMO the only service that MUST have this control is SMTP (I run it in
> inetd). I usually restrict access to the mailer from unknown hosts,
> which is also a sane measure against spammers.

  Which should be done within the mailer.  The mailer is going to lookup
the hostname anyhow, because it has to record it into the Received header.

> My two cents.
>
> 	Pedro.

Tom