Date:      Fri, 6 Jun 1997 16:23:23 +0300 (EET DST)
From:      mika ruohotie <bsdcur@shadows.aeon.net>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: page fault

> > it's only about 9 mgs. why not?
> Because you're bloating physical memory with a symbol table you're

i know...

> and various strings anyway.)  It's not too hard to say ``strip -d
> /kernel'' before rebooting, is it? :)

nope, it's not. didnt think about that first... though i strip:ed it
in /sys/compile/, after i copied the kernel to kernel.debug,
_then_ i installed the kernel...

but now that i'm expecting a crash, i'm not getting one. :\

(sure, i could generate one with the win95)

> > a person without the internal knowledge it's hard to decide...
> It's not too hard.  As long as you've got a basic clue to which

hmm? the clue is not always "available".

> style(9), the function names always start in column 1 (and now you
> know one reason why :), so if you look for functions foobar() and

i guess... always nice to learn new things.

> Also, now that we've got global(1) support in the tree, you should be
> able to use tags.

uh oh, sounds like lots of rtfm:ing tonight...

> Well, if you cvsup the source tree, yes.  (I mirror the CVS tree, so i
> will only foobar the tree if i cvs update it.)

i dont yet have the space for that. soon i will...

> > the kernel has support, but... is that suspicious?
> It looks suspicious regarding your hardware.  If you never touched the

it's bad ram, right? i'm not really truting my ram, even though it
never die on cc... it's still weird.

another piece of my hardware i dont trust is the ethernet adapter,
i bought it used, it's smc isa combo card.

> cd9660 filesystem code (which would at least require a previous mount
> -t cd9660), this function should never be called.  It's called in some

yeah. but, nada cdrom in the machine.

> backtrace, so you're often missing one function call when looking at
> it in the debugger, but it's not normal that you don't see anything in
> the upper layers.

i'll crash my machine few times tonight and see what i get, and i'll do
that with bloated kernel, i like the extra info it tells me.

and i have new memory on my shopping list, as well as new motherboard, and
several other parts... basicly what i'll keep is the installed os, which
i also feel tempted to reinstall to clean it from old files...

> cheers, J"org

mickey