Date:      Mon, 16 Apr 2001 02:15:58 +0100
From:      David Dooley <dpd@raffles-it.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Problems booting a Digital 5000 PC

--==_Exmh_822413248P

Hi,

I have a Digital 5000 PC that I have been trying to install FreeBSD
4.2 on to for the last couple of weeks.

It would appear that I can install FreeBSD no problem, but when I try
and boot my nice new clean install I get a 'read error' and that's
it. I can boot from the 2nd CD and muck about with the disk disklabel
and fdisk to no avail. The system was running Win98 and so I thought
that I would try and reinstall that and see if the drive was
nackered, but it worked and it booted up into Windows first time. I
have now gone back to FreeBSD 4.2 and I once again get this 'read
error' error message. I have tried to be 'Dangerously Dedicated' and
not with no success.

I found an option in the BIOS that's under the Advanced option tab of
my Phoenix BIOS that is labelled 'Large Disk Access Mode' and has the
options 'DOS' and 'OTHER'. In the help panel the text is

	UNIX, Novell Netware, or other operating  systems, select 'OTHER'.
If
	you are installing new software and the drive failes, change this
	selection and try again. Different operating systems require
different
	representations of drive geometries.

I have tried every permutation of Other/Dos and Not/Dangerously
Dedicated.

Just this evening I tried to install FreeBSD again, but this time I
tried using a small root partition thinking it maybe something to do
with old machine and large partitions, so I set the root partition to
be 512M and 128M swap and /usr everything else. Previously I had set
the root partition to be everything bar 128M for swap. I have done
this rebuild tonight with 'Dangerously dedicated' set and the BIOS
setting set to both DOS and other.

Just as an aside the option was set to DOS but when I installed Win98
I had mistakenly left it at 'Other' and it still worked.

Once I have FreeBSD installed, this machines prime function will be
to be a print server for a postscript printer, with the occasional
duty as a cd burner.

The system is a Pentium 2 233MHz with 96MB ram and a 3.2 GB IDE Hard
Drive (1st channel, Master), 1 CDROM (2nd channel, Master), 1 CD-RW
(1st channel, slave). The drive has been partitioned

Thanks for your time and any assistance.

David.

--==_Exmh_822413248P

--==_Exmh_822413248P--