Date:      Mon, 22 Feb 1999 18:24:07 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@jonny.eng.br>
Cc:        net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IP frags from wcarchive ???

Joao Carlos Mendes Luis wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   Does anybody have a hint on what could cause this ?
>
> Feb 22 17:49:13 madrid /kernel: ipfw: 20150 Reset TCP 209.155.82.18 146.164.53.65 in via ed0 Fragment = 182
> Feb 22 17:49:21 madrid last message repeated 5 times
>
> 209.155.82.18 is wcarchive.cdrom.com, 20150 is my ipfw rule that deny
> every TCP incoming packet for a disallowed (not allowed in a previous
> rule) port.  The problem is why is it getting here fragmented.  IIRC,
> FreeBSD's TCP has path MTU discovery, right ?
>
> On my side, every hop is an ethernet or fddi, until the international link,
> which has a 1500 byte mtu.

Unless you have absolute control of the routing path, you're highly
likely to encounter one or more routers that are broken with respect
to path mtu discovery.

--
             Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Wes Peters                                                     +1.801.915.2061
Softweyr LLC                                                  wes@softweyr.com