Date:      Thu, 16 Dec 1999 07:52:54 +0800 (WST)
From:      Michael Kennett <mike@laurasia.com.au>
To:        imp@village.org (Warner Losh)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pccard disruptions : how did it go?

Warner wrote:
> In message <199912151129.TAA29972@laurasia.com.au> Michael Kennett writes:
> : I've just scoured the archives, and found a thread from late October 1999
> : titled:
> :     Massive pccard disruptions to continue
> :
> : So, have these disruptions continued? And what is the current status with
> : pccard support in the kernel?
>
> The new pccard code is still being worked on.

To confirm:

  The new pccard code contains the `controller pccard' config directive.
    - the source code is in  sys/dev/pcic
                             sys/dev/pccard

  The old pccard code contains the `controller card' config directive.
    - the source code is in  sys/pccard

Is this correct ?

> However, the old pccard code mostly works again, modulo a couple of
> if_detach issues that I'm trying to work through.
>
> : I've noticed that a few files still contain the PCCARD_MODULE macro
> : - in particular, the dev/pccard/if_xe.c Xircom driver.  I'm
> : interested in getting the if_xe.c driver to work under -current
> : (12-Dec sources).  I'd be interested in any ideas on how to convert
> : the old if_xe.c driver to the 'newbus' code.  (I'm not familiar with
> : either the old PCCARD_MODULE, or the newbus code.)
>
> The if_xe and if_fe drivers no longer work for pccard.  You may wish
> to investigate how the ep and ed drivers were converted.  There is one
> issue with the if_xe driver, namely it needs to access the CIS of the
> card to determine which kind of card it is and that will need some
> work in -current to get working again...
>
> I can provide support for this effort, but I'm not sure that I have
> time to do this effort.

Thank you for your help. I'm not asking you to do it all, but instead what
needs to be done, and in what direction I should be going!  I think hacking
the xe driver to work with the newbus kludge is less than desirable.  Instead,
I'd like to aim for support under the new pccard code.

However, I've noticed that the file  /dev/pcic/i82365_isasubr.c is missing
from the Dec 12 -current sources, and compilation fails for `controller
pccard'.

Regards,

Mike Kennett
(mike@laurasia.com.au)