Date:      Sat, 29 Aug 1998 11:24:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      rick hamell <hamellr@dsinw.com>
To:        Craig <c@doomnet.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Freebsd

> I got a ATI xpert@work 8mb AGP (nice card ;)

	The one I've got it the newest, greatest, bestest. :) It's a
model above yours. It seems they're dropping the @work line, I guess it's
not worth the extra production cost.

> Another question.. someone told me that freebsd is easy to install than
> linux... is this true?

	Hmmm... well I think that is really a function of your hardware.
In my experience, people who install FreeBSD tend to build a machine
tailored to it's addmittedly sometimes stringent requirements. But, as
primarily a hardware person, and computer operator second, I believe you
tend to get a very good, very stable, and very fast computer.
	Linux on the other hand, has from the start been meant to run on
anything and everything. With everybodies hand's in the pot so to speak,
it does tend to support a heck of a lot more hardware, some of it not
very well which tends to make things a lot more comlicated. Especially
for someone who has dosen't know what an IRQ is.
	Now, my first Linux install was SlackWare 1.12 or something. It
was a horrible experience. Once I got it installed, I had no idea where
to go. I later got Redhat 4.0 on my computer and was faced with the same
challenge again. About six months ago I installed FreeBSD, the only
problems I had with it was PPP setup, seems everyone has that problem. Two
weeks ago, I installed RedHat 5.1 on my SparcIPX, it was again, a big
mess. It took me three days, and as many messages to mailing lists to
figure out how to get a boot prompt. There is very little documentation
for it, which made things harder. PLUS, the CDROM set didn't ship with
the right boot images to make boot floppies, PLUS, the errata later said
that S/Linux can't be booted off a CDROM in this paticual version.
	All in all, FreeBSD has been for me easier to install by far. It
seems to have a lot better quality control, a better help mailing list,
and a lot more knowledgable people, and if FreeBSD worked on the lower
end SparcStations, I would have installed it in a heartbeat.

					Rick