Date:      Thu, 7 Sep 2000 15:47:27 -0500 (GMT-6:00)
From:      Jonathan Fosburgh <syjef@mail.mdanderson.org>
To:        R Joseph Wright <rjoseph@mammalia.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: BSD license questions

> But, as Alfred replied, the license only goes one level deep.  The software
> can be relicensed with proprietary terms although it must include a copy of
> the original BSD license stating its origins.  Is this correct?

> Joseph

The original source/binary cannot itself be relicensed, that remains
forever the intellectual property of the Regents (until sold,
released, etc). Only modifications you make can be under a different
license. The BSD license just lets you release the code+mods in binary
only form, as opposed to the GPL where your mods are GPL as well. I
could do up my own distro of FreeBSD without changing any code. If I
do that, I still have to have a copyright statement saying that
portions are copyright The FreeBSD Project, Inc, The Regents of the
University of California, etc etc etc, but I don;t have to make the
source available except for the portions that are GPL'd.

--
Jonathan Fosburgh
Open Systems