Date:      Wed, 5 Jan 2011 17:04:45 -0500
From:      Pierre-Luc Drouin <pldrouin@gmail.com>
To:        Jan Henrik Sylvester <me@janh.de>
Cc:        x11-list freebsd <freebsd-x11@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: xf86-video-intel upgrade, anyone?

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 4:43 PM, Jan Henrik Sylvester <me@janh.de> wrote:

> On 01/05/2011 22:02, Pierre-Luc Drouin wrote:
>
>> I would be interested by the T410s, that can be ordered with the Intel
>> Centrino Wireless-N 1000 card and the NVIDIA NVS Optimus Graphics 512MB
>> (I am not sure if it is the same GPU that you have). Assuming for now
>> that the Nvidia GPU is the same, do you think that would be a winning
>> combo (for 3D acceleration and suspend+resume)?
>>

> My T510 has "NVIDIA NVS 3100M Optimus / 512MB", which is the same as the
> two T410s with Nvidia I just checked. It is supposed to be a decent entry
> level discrete notebook graphic. The FreeBSD 3D performance is good enough
> for what I do work related like occasional Matlab graphics (heck, even a
> casual game of Starcraft 2 on 1920x1080 is fine with i386 wine on amd64 and
> GoogleEarth is no problem, either). Of course, the "Quadro FX880M" in the
> W510 is probably much better, but since you are looking into T410s, you seem
> to have other priorities. As I said, suspend/resume works currently -- that
> is of course S3 and not S4 (I do not think there are recent laptops with
> S4BIOS).

Well, I just want a laptop with a screen of 14" or less. I don't even play
games. I just want stuff like Compiz, GoogleEarth and videos to play
smoothly without generating too much CPU load...

> As for wlan, I have "Intel WiFi Link 6300 AGN", which is available for
> T410s, too -- that is some "Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 6000" if you look into
> if_iwn.c. In 8.1-RELEASE, there are also two lines of "Intel(R) PRO/Wireless
> 1000" in if_iwn.c -- I would expect "Centrino Wireless-N 1000" to work. Of
> course, I do not have any experience with that.

ok thanks for the info.

> Do not expect a miracle, though. Many details of notebooks are much easier
> to get to work on Linux for example, but a mainline OS would be boring. ;-)

I don't mind too much if stuff like the camera, the finger print reader or
the card reader does not work, as long as 3D acceleration and suspend/resume
are stable. The only other thing that would be very useful to me is to be
able to use the TouchPad to scroll (either using the right edge or
two-finger scroll). Should this work?

What kind of battery life do you think I should expect using the Nvidia GPU
and the 6 cell battery (if the CPU load is minimal). Lenovo mentions "Up to
4.8 hours of battery life", but it will be less than that obviously without
switchable graphics...

Thanks