Date:      Thu, 29 Jun 2000 22:35:23 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Siegbert Baude <Siegbert.Baude@gmx.de>
Cc:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Partitioning

On Wed, Jun 28, 2000 at 09:29:33PM +0200, Siegbert Baude wrote:
>>> Can I install FreeBSD on logical disk in extended partition?
>>
>> No. You need one DOS partition table entry, that is (in DOS
>> parlance) partition 1-4. This translates to FreeBSD slice 0-3.
>
> Is this a *boot* problem for FreeBSD only, or is FreeBSD unable to
> put ufs in a logical disc at all?  Is it possible to use for example
> /dev/ad0s9 for a FreeBSD-Filesystem?

This topic has been discussed a couple of times (or more) in these lists.
The so called "logical" drives are a hack that MS-DOS used to get over it's
own limitation to handle gracefully more than 4 primary partitions.
FreeBSD will happily mount one of these "logical" drives, but it can only
boot from a primary partition.

Ciao.

--
Giorgos Keramidas, < keramida @ ceid . upatras . gr >