Date:      Wed, 19 Jun 2002 13:32:41 +0800
From:      Calvin NG <calvinng@brel.com>
To:        Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
Cc:        Tom Rhodes <darklogik@pittgoth.com>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Password security

Greetings,

  if you are worried about insecured "access terminals/workstations",
  then you will be worried about sniffers on them.  Password is out.

  S/Key has a higher chance of success, if you can give the user a
  secured way of calculating the password.

  The initialisation of the key can be done from a secured terminal,
  or at the console of your server, (under supervision), which I think
  we can assume is secured (right?).

  The passphrase can use your system for password, part of it in their
  head, the other part written down on a card.

  That left the secure entering of passphrase to generate the one time
  pass.

  Alternatively, you can generate 10 one-tine passwords at a
  time, for the user to carry around and use.  And they come back to
  you to re-init/get the next 10 passwords.

  Yet another alternative, issue PDAs that has s/key calculators.
  Whatever.

  Well, I use s/key when I am travelling and need to have remote
  access.  And I don't trust dial-ups, and terminals in internet-cafe
  or at the conference locations that much.  Well, you know what I mean.

Regards,
/calvin

lines with :> are quotes from Ryan Thompson's email
:>
:> Hi Tom,
:>
:>
:> Tom Rhodes wrote to Ryan Thompson:
:>
:> > Ryan,
:> >
:> > Did you know that ssh supports keys?
:>
:> Yes. :-)
:>
:> The basic problem with public/private key encryption is the security
:> and installation of the private key. I don't expect users to be able
:> to properly secure their private key on insecure systems.
:>
:>
:> >     The method described above would also be wonderful to keep users
:> > from accessing the system outside the workplace.
:>
:> Which is one of the main reasons it won't work, given that a fair
:> percentage of our staff access the system from outside the workplace,
:> :-)
:>
:> Thanks,
:> - Ryan