Date:      Thu, 12 Apr 2001 19:46:01 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        David Scheidt <dscheidt@tumbolia.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux and network cards

David Scheidt writes:
> On Wed, 11 Apr 2001, David Kelly wrote:
>
> :Interesting that he happily downloaded somebody's utility and inserted
> :it in his system config to smack a NIC into half duplex. Apparently
> :something the Linux driver didn't have a syscall for, or something the
> :Linux ifconfig didn't support.
>
> I'm pretty sure there are some FreeBSD drivers that don't suport this, either.
> That may have changed, though.

Certainly not for the Intel and 3Com cards under discussion.

> :I am not a kernel programmer but way back in 1996 my version 0.0 21040
> :started having problems with FreeBSD when autosensing was being added to
> :the de driver. So that's the last time I spent much time really reading
> :that code. My impression was the difficulty was in figuring out *how* to
> :set the duplex mode on the media interface on cards of different
> :manufacture. The card doesn't set the mode, the driver has to tell it
> :what to do.
>
> Auto-sensing is hard, too.  There's lots of hardware that doesn't do the
> right thing.

The thing in my case was that no-auto was not working as I had a card
where the interface could not be selected by software, and otherwise it
was only a 21040, locked at 10M. But this was over 5 years ago.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net