Date:      Thu, 8 Nov 2012 15:05:29 +1100 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <brde@optusnet.com.au>
To:        Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com>
Cc:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@leidinger.net>, bde@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: removing support for ICC??

On Wed, 7 Nov 2012, Eitan Adler wrote:

> On 7 November 2012 16:17, Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@leidinger.net> wrote:
>> On Tue, 6 Nov 2012 15:58:45 -0500 Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Is there any reason to continue to keep the legacy __INTEL_COMPILER
>>> conditional includes around?
>>
>> Is there a reason to remove them from cdefs.h? There aren't a lot of
>> them, they don't obfuscate things, they are not in the way of improving
>> things, they don't make the existing stuff harder to read.

>> cdefs.h is not only used in the kernel, but also in the userland.
>> Anything from userland which includes cdefs.h and may also compile on
>> other operating systems benefits from keeping this support in cdefs.h.
>
> I just noticed this ancient stuff in src and decided to clean it up.
>
> Since it is clearly needed, I'll drop it.

Not ancient and not clearly needed, but has a mother.  It is certainly
unclean (has mounds of style bugs).

There is lots of ancient stuff (to support pre-C90 compilers) in cdefs.h.
This is really ancient, but more likely needed, since it is for not just
1 compiler.  This is mostly cleaner (actually in KNF).

Bruce