Date:      Thu, 3 Jan 2002 14:02:09 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, Jos Backus <josb@cncdsl.com>
Subject:   Re: Solaris /usr/proc/bin/pstack functionality?

Jos Backus <josb@cncdsl.com> wrote:
 > ----- Forwarded message from Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkrantz@ebuilt.com> -----
 > +1.  =)  I've talked to the FreeBSD people and they just laugh
 > maniacally when I ask for a truss that follows children.  AIUI,
 > NetBSD has this, so it is possible to port these changes over,
 > but it requires an overhaul to procfs from what I've been told.
 >
 > FreeBSD has a long way to get the stellar debugging capabilities
 > of Solaris.  -- justin

I think that the output from FreeBSD's truss is pretty
pathetic and unusable.  ktrace is somewhat better.

Recently I discovered that there is a version of strace
in our ports collection.  I installed it and noticed that
its output is a lot better.  Since then I use strace
exclusively for debugging and I'm very happy with it.

strace follows children when you use the -f option (this
is similar to ktrace's -i option).

Regards
   Oliver

PS:  I tried strace under -stable only.  I don't know if
it works under -current as well.