Date:      Sun, 03 Jun 2012 23:06:53 +0200
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why Are You NOT Using FreeBSD ?

--------------enigACFB77E69C2DF3240B9DC365

On 06/03/12 15:12, Mehmet Erol Sanliturk wrote:
> [...]

ng
>>> system reduces them to a little experienced new starter .
>>>

>> I agree and your issue with USB sticks proves my point.  I've never tr=
ied
>> to mount an NTFS USB stick and I'm OK with that.  But for you it is a =
big
>> hassle (understandably so) and it has definitely negatively impacted y=
our
>> view of FreeBSD.
>>
>>  Compare the cost of a Linux or Windows and personal time , and make a=

>>> decision which one to choose .
>>>
>>> Another point frequently mentioned is that FreeBSD is leaned toward
>>> servers
>>> .
>>> Only I want to say that , "Please , install a CentOS , Debian , or Wi=
ndows
>>> Server trial , and see how a server may be ..."
>>>

>> I manage Windows, CentOS and Debian (and RedHat and a few others) serv=
ers
>> too.   I've found FreeBSD is more reliable on the whole and takes less=
 time
>> to maintain (which means less expensive for my clients).  This is one =
area
>> where FreeBSD shines.  And when things do break it is possible to reco=
ver
>> fairly easily.  That is another.
>>
>> And yes, in terms of that initial learning curve my experience helps b=
ut
>> its the OS that is doing the work here.  If I was more experienced wit=
>> Windows or Linux it wouldn't make them any easier to update, either th=
ough.
>>  So there is a point at which "knowing what to do" stops being the lim=
iting
>> issue and its just "ok well this is broken now and it can't be
>> cost-effectively fixed".   That crossover point is something that is a=
lmost
>> never reached with FreeBSD in my experience.
>>
>> All of this is completely parallel and unrelated to your (or another
>> person's) experience as a desktop user though.  What you see is "USB
>> thumbdrives don't work" :)   So you decide to use another OS, and prob=
ably
>> wouldn't advocate for FreeBSD if presented the chance in a server cont=
ext
>> because of that experience.  That is a shame in my book. (I know I'm
>> putting words in your mouth but its simply to illustrate my thinking o=
n how
>> public perception is formed).
>>

> All of us are here for like and love for FreeBSD and to make it much mo=
re
> better than the present state .
>=20
> Our goal is to identify gaps and missing parts to fill the gaps and to
> generate missing parts .
>=20
> Without doing this it is unlikely that FreeBSD will advance by itself .=
 We
> should be helpful to developers by bringing issues to agenda .
>=20
> Actually and really FreeBSD is a very high quality operating system as =
> design and an implementation . With its that structure it is an importa=
nt
> contribution to humanity welfare . For this , we really thank very much=
> its developers and supporters in any way .
>=20
> All over the years , my most stressed issue is its "easiness of usabili=
ty"
> , not for my own benefit but for the "normal" users . I can solve my
> problems in any way , but the other people are not so much experienced =
and
> they are living without benefiting from FreeBSD .
>=20
> Since 1970 , I am in this area ( computing ) .
>=20
> If there were NOT FreeBSD or Linux , we will , MOST LIKELY perhaps stil=
> use  a console mode operating system with painted by a useless windowin=

=2E.. I highly doubt this view!

> program . If you remember the history , Intel 386 with its 32-bit struc=
ture
> appeared around 1985 , and a famous operating system , perhaps understo=
od
> that there is no other way than doing this , produced its 32-bit , agai=
> painted console mode operating system at 1995 , after 10 years , perhap=
> because , their vision was that a 640 Kilo Bytes program would be much =
more
> than requirements of the people .

Well, I regeret that in most cases the most aggressiv nonsense makes the
run. This very famous operating system was no competition to so many
other window based operating systems that time. Most of the windowing
systems I remember of in that time where derived from X11 or Apples visio=
n.

And, by the way, compared the Intel x86 legacy crap in my recent box
compared to the DEC Alpha AXP or the MIPS based platforms with either
OSF/1 or BSD/4.3 or 4.4 is much more hurting!

>=20
> The contributions made by FreeBSD should NOT be forgotten .
>=20
>=20
> A few days ago I was suggesting to a professor to use a Unix which was =
very
> fond of computer usage too much at the beginning . He asked "Which Unix=
 ?"
> . He is just a "user" in a different field than in "Computer Sciences a=
nd
> Engineering" . Which Unix you can advise to use by him ?

=2E.. it is ALL about PR! That is, why my department is driven by manager=
and the IT by people which pretend having knowledge (they never where in
computer science and all their knowledge comes from fancy weekly magazine=
s).

>=20
> Please think alternatives : ( I am NOT trying to insult any one , pleas=
> understand in that way . )
>=20
> FreeBSD : Installation is now easy . Use : Impossible because of instal=
led
> structure  .
> PC-BSD : Installation and then use is not possible ( I am trying each o=
ne
> by one , perhaps one day
>                I  can reach to a working release ) .
> GhostBSD : Installation is easy . Use is Easy . It is based on only GNO=
ME .
>                   Personally I do NOT like GNOME very much and I am NOT=

> using it .
>=20
> Linux : ( Fedora , Mandriva , Mageia , and many others ) Wonderful  . I=
 can
> not think any other choice other than LInux to suggest to ONLY a user w=
hich
> he/she will install and use the system .
>=20
> Please , do NOT forget that server installers and maintainers are compu=
ter
> professionals having sufficient training to work on such a job .

You really believe this is in general that way? I can proff you wrong!