Date:      Sat, 25 Oct 2008 15:54:41 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        DSA - JCR <juancr@dsa.es>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to restore a lost root password...

--------------enigCAB84A5666940FDC34B76A55

DSA - JCR wrote:
> Hi all
>=20
> I have lost the neuron where I stored the root password of an installat=
ion ;D
>=20
> I have seen a "How to" about this but I have a problem, i set the conso=
le
> to insecure, so when I try to do the step of the "how to" i get a messa=
ge
> to input the root password or Ctrl-D to enter in multiuser mode.
>=20
> Is there a way to restore/modify it, or not?
>=20
> Some ideas?

You can try booting from installation media into 'fixit' mode or live
filesystem.  Once there, you can mount your HDD read-write; edit=20
/etc/master.password to remove the crypted password string from the
line for the root account; run 'cap_mkdb ./master.passwd'; reboot back to=
=20
your normal system and then log in as root (no password) and=20
/immediately/ set another root password.

This time, don't forget your root password.  If you struggle to memorise
it, then *write it down* on its own, on a blank sheet of paper.  Don't=20
add any really obvious text like "this is the root password for my=20
server" -- after all, we don't want to make it too easy for anyone trying=
=20
to break in do we?  Seal that paper in an envelope and keep it in a safe =

place.  But not so safe that you forget where you put it...

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                  Flat 3