Date:      Thu, 4 Mar 1999 23:55:59 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        stuyman@confusion.net (Laurence Berland)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Crypt

Laurence Berland wrote,
> This is a rather odd question, and I don't know where else to post
> this.  I'm trying to find the sources for MD5 and DES in FreeBSD, but
> can't seem to locate them.

That's a perfectly valid question for the list.

Do you have source on your system? Try,

/usr/src/lib/libcrypt

For the default MD5 routines or

/usr/src/secure/lib/libcrypt

For DES and MD5.

> If anyone can either point me to the code
> or (and this would make me very happy) tell me the mathematical formulas
> on which one of these (or a more basic version of these) schemes works.

It's all about factorization, division, and modulo operations on very
large whole numbers. If you are really interested in cryptography,
there are many, many sources that will be much better to start at than
source code. An in depth discussion is beyond the scope of this
maillist. Some web searches probably would be a good place for you to
start. Here is a fairly interesting one on MD5 that might answer your
question below,

http://www.spiderline.com/document/md5/index.html