Date:      Sat, 28 Sep 2002 08:45:37 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jonathan Laventhol <jonathan-dot-laventhol@imagination.com>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   ports/43454: Packages hard to find, often missing

>Number:         43454
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       Packages hard to find, often missing
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
It appears that the package mechanism is rusting, in that it is becoming
increasingly difficult to get the packages from the web site.
Specifically, http://www.freebsd.org/ports/index.html refers to packages
but has no easy way to find them.  Further, even if you can find a link
to a package, it often doesn't exist.

If we're not going to support packages, lets get rid of them so that
users KNOW they have to learn how to compile things.
>How-To-Repeat:
http://www.freebsd.org/ports/index.html
click on foe example java and not a single package is listed
Instead you have to do a search, get a result which shows a different
search input:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/ports.cgi?query=java&stype=all
now you can change the pulldown to 4.6-RELEASE and search
which gives you:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/ports.cgi?query=java&stype=all&release=4.6-RELEASE%2Fi386
These
results have packages listed.

BUT
many of them don't exist, for example
ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-4.6-release/All/jre-1.1.8.tgz

there is no such file

>Fix:
This is a project management or web site problem.

On the assumption that it's not a simple case of some files
getting lost.

Recommendations based on assumption that we are trying to
help USERS rather than DEVELOPERS (for the simple reason
that developers have more skills and ways to get out
of problems)

1.  Have the web site default 'applications' link be to latest -RELEASE
rather than to -CURRENT

2.  Rebuild the indexes more frequently ... the fact that the index
says there is a package surely means that there was a package at
some point.  Even if it got removed (for good or bad reason) the
web page link shouldn't dangle.

3.  Find out why the packages aren't there and put them back
My opinion is that the packages are one of the MOST important
things about FreeBSD in relation to its usability.

Best regards