Date:      Wed, 6 Sep 1995 08:41:13 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: QIC-80 tape driver sucks..

As dennis wrote:

> Low cost tape is important for another reason, that is it gives you the
> ability to move large volumes from one site to another (home to work at
> minimum) when dial downloading is unacceptable. For this, you need to buy
> more than 1 tape drive which multiplies the effect of low cost drives.

I didn't vote against low-cost tapes, only against floppy tapes.
Btw., how does your scenario multiply the effect?  I've always been
exchanging my QIC-150 cartridges with other sites.  I've got them even
from California, carrying FreeBSD's CVS tree.

Don't be blind, even a wt-style tape is in the same price region like
some floppy tapes, but is much better.  (60 MB QIC-24 cartridges) You
can find QIC drives in many machines, while the floppy tape crap is
PC-only.

(I refuse to apply the term QIC to floppy tapes, even though they are
also quarter-inch cartridges.)

--
cheers, J"org

joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/