Date:      Fri, 15 Feb 2008 12:13:17 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        jhs@berklix.org (Julian H. Stacey)
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: UFS2 corruption (RELENG_7, amd64)

Julian H. Stacey wrote:
 > Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > Chris Dillon wrote:
 > > > I've been seeing "UNEXPECTED SOFT UPDATE INCONSISTENCY" fsck errors
 > > > show up in some of my filesytem snapshots on a RELENG_6 AMD64 box for
 > > > years (actually since RELENG_5), which will eventually lead to "panic:
 > > > snapblkfree: inconsistent block type" if those snapshots are mounted
 > > > and used.
 > >
 > > We do not use snapshots, and we don't see such panics.
 > > So this is probably unrelated.
 >
 > I've never enabled snapshots either, but was suprised to find one
 > recently! Though I recall it had been around a long while, it was
 > also certainly bigger than the physical disk it was on, (presumably
 > a sparse file).

Yes, snapshots are sparse files, basically.

 > I just deleted it, & guessed some flag or
 > config file presence/ absence/ corruption etc had somehow
 > triggered it. (No one else would have enabled snapshots on it).

If you haven't disabled background fsck in /etc/rc.conf,
then snapshots will be created upon reboot after an
unclean shutdown.  Maybe that's where your snapshot
came from.  Another way to create snapshots implicitely
is with dump(8), but you have to pass the -L option,
so that shouldn't happen without you knowing.

 > Maybe schedule an outage, take off line & single user { foreground
 > fsck, & repeat till you get a clean run where it fixes nothing  ||
 > backup & newfs }.

Hm.  Yes, I think I will do an fsck -y -f on it until it
is clean.  But I fear the problem will occur again after
a while.

 > Good luck!

Thank you!

Best regards
   Oliver

"Being really good at C++ is like being really good
at using rocks to sharpen sticks."
        -- Thant Tessman