Date:      Fri, 21 Apr 2000 19:32:20 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        System operator <sysop@silver.komanda.com.ua>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XFree86-3.3.6 - libc.so.4???

System operator wrote:

> Probably someone knew how to solve
> the next:
>
> #startx
> /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libc.so.4" \
> not found
>
>  The system is 3.4-STABLE FreeBSD Mar 30 20:49:05 EEST 2000.
>
> Thanks for help.

Looks like you've downloaded a version of XFree86 built for FreeBSD 4,
when you only have FreeBSD 3.  Try to look for one built for FreeBSD 3,
or if that fails, compile it yourself from the ports/x11/XFree86 port.

You should be able to find a FreeBSD package of it, I forget the exact
URL but if you look around under <ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/>;
for a ports/packages directory called something like "packages-3-stable"
you should be in the right place.

--
Ben Smithurst / ben@scientia.demon.co.uk / PGP: 0x99392F7D