Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 2001 12:46:59 -0700 (MST)
From:      Diana Eichert <deichert@wrench.com>
To:        Richard Cramer <rcramer@sytex.net>
Cc:        Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>, bv@wjv.com, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2 cisco's and a fbsd box running bgp

Richard

Most motherboards that use chipsets from "http://www.serverworks.com/"
should support 64-bit PCI slots.  As Dennis mentioned most of the larger
clone momboard vendors have them available as "server" momboards, ASUS,
SuperMicro, blah, blah .....

There are also some Intel i840 chipset momboards out there that have
64-bit PCI slots, stay away from these with a passion, they were
originally designed to use RAMBUS memory then a glue chip was designed
to use non-RAMBUS memory.  If you do a search
"http://www.google.com/search?q=i840+problems" you'll get the picture.

diana

On Wed, 17 Jan 2001, Richard Cramer wrote:

> Dennis,
>
> I am falling behind..are there 64-bit MBs available?  If so who's? Do
> they run FreeBSD?  I see you occasionally on the Zebra list
> occasionally.  Are you running Zebra in production and how does it
> hold up?
>
> Hope you have a profitable new year,
> Dick
> Sytex Access Ltd.
>
> Dennis writes:
>  (test deleted)
>
>  > Well its an extra few $100., versus paying 75K for a cisco 7xxx series. You
>  > do the math.
>  >
>  > A dual bus 64-bit MB has 5 Gigabits of bus bandwidth (vs 1Gb on a standard
>  > MB). Its a nice solution, particularly if you want to run say 4-8 ethernets
>  > and 4 T3 HSSIs or 12 T1s.
>  >
>  > Dennis

Diana Eichert
VP Technical Services
Nothing in Particular at the Moment, Inc.
deichert@wrench.com

For PGP Public key
http://www.swcp.com/~deichert/pgp_public_key.txt