Date:      Wed, 2 Aug 2000 20:53:27 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu (Zhihui Zhang)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert), stevec@nbci.com (Steve Carlson), freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FFS performance for large directories?

> > This is because the tarball is packed up in the wrong order;
> > change the packing order (breadth-first vs. depth-first),
> > and the "ports problem" goes away.  I have done this with the
> > -T option to tar, and it works fine, so long as you have an
> > accurate file.  This ensures that there is no cache-busting
> > on the dearchive, which is the source of the problem.
>
> Good point.  But what do you mean by saying "have an accurate file"?

If you use a naked tar without -T, then it traverses the
directory, depth-first.  This means that it accuractely
gets all of the files that are there and packs them up.

If you drive it using -T, then it depends on the contents
of the list-of-files file that you tell it to use.  This
means that you need to make sure the list-of-files file
is kept up to date, or you will miss some files and/or
patches and/or new ports.

It's like depending on MAKEDEV instead of devfs to keep
the devices up to date: if you have stale data, then you
end up with a bad result that's worse than waiting around
for the cache-busting creates.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---