Date:      Thu, 15 Jun 2000 22:01:17 -0700
From:      "Dan O'Connor" <dan@mostgraveconcern.com>
To:        "Tyler Spivey" <tyler@wapvi.bc.ca>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ports

>ok, how do i update my p9orts? i'm just i just downloaded 4.0-r's ports.
>and i'm glad of it .. but, how do i make the thing just download the port
so i can make it myself?

Do you mean keeping your port tree up to date, or building software using
the port collection?

To keep your port tree up to date, use CVSup and make sure the following is
in your supfile:

    ports-all tag=.

To build a port, simply go to that the proper directory and type 'make'; the
distfile will automagically fetched. For instance, if you wanted to build
Samba, you would:

    # cd /usr/ports/net/samba && make && make install

--Dan

--
Dan O'Connor
On Matters of Most Grave Concern