Date:      Sat, 07 Feb 1998 16:48:20 -0600
From:      Shawn Stone <shawn.stone@westal.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Metro X Server (RedHat/Caldera Linux) on FreeBSD

I have (what I believe to be) a virtual terminal problem.  Here it is:
I purchased Caldera OpenLinux over a year ago, before I was made to
realize that FreeBSD is a better product.  One thing I did like about
Caldera, though (and about RedHat, for that matter) was the X server.
The only real reason I prefer MetroX is that it supports my card in
16-bit color, whereas XFree86 does not.  (I would either have to replace
my ISA card with a PCI one or revoce all but 14MB of RAM.)

So I installed the Linux libraries, compiled Linux support into the
kernel, installed the rpm package, then rpm'ed the Metro X server onto
my system.  All of that went without a glitch.

Then I tried to configure the server and got the following error
(contents of /var/log/Xerrors):

	Metro-X Version 3.1.2

	Copyright (c) 1990-1996 by Metro Link Inc.
	Copyright (c) 1989-1994 by M.I.T.
	Copyright (c) 1994-1996 by X Consortium, Inc.
	All Rights Reserved.
	Read mouse Serial_MouseMan from Xconfig

	Fatal server error:
	Can not find open VT

Well, I remembered that Linux usually setup 6 virtual terminals instead
of FreeBSD's 4, so I used MAKEDEV to create an additional 3 VTs (one to
grow on!), edited my /etc/ttys to include them and turn them all on (as
in Linux), then SIGHUPed init.  No go - same error.  Edited /etc/ttys
again and turned the last 4 back off, restarted init, and same error.  I
even created symlinks to the devices named tty0-tty6 (as in Linux), and
again gained no ground.  (All right, I admit that I don't really know
whether that last move was the smartest in the world.  Can a symlink
actually work with a character device?)

So now I'm tossing up my hands and asking you guys:  Can this be done?
Or am I consigned to either buying a different card or settling for 256
colors?  Thanks in advance for any help you can give on this.

                 Shawn Stone <shawn.stone@westal.com>
            "I don't know of a man, woman, or child alive
             today who doesn't enjoy a tasty beverage!"
                        -- David Letterman