Date:      Mon, 27 Mar 1995 17:18:36 -0500
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@ref.tfs.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: shared library versioning

<<On Mon, 27 Mar 1995 13:52:48 -0800 (PST), Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@ref.tfs.com> said:

> No I can't.  But until somebody actually uses that particular symbol for
> something, then I don't really want to see 2.1 being >that< incompatible.

> Alternatively we shoule decide that this is the way it will be, and bump
> the number at any and all release hereafter.

No, I don't think so.  Only libraries whose interface has changed
should be bumped, and said bumping should occur at most once during
the release cycle.

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.