Date:      Sat, 20 May 2006 01:35:46 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        avalonwallace@gmail.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: misc questions about the device&driver arch

From: "william wallace" <avalonwallace@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 13:39:08 +0800

> comparing the method array of pci_pci and cardbusbridge:
> what losts in pci bridge but exist in cardbusbridge:
> 1 card interface
> 2 power interface
> 3 some functions :
>   3ain bus interface
> 	(bus_driver_added,		cbb_driver_added),
> 	(bus_child_detached,		cbb_child_detached),
> 	(bus_child_present,		cbb_child_present),
>  3b in device interface
> 	(device_detach,		cbb_detach),
> what exists in pci bridge but losts in cardbusbridge:
>  (pcib_route_interrupt,	pcib_route_interrupt),
>
> not only that ,functions r very different eventhough they realize the
> same interface function template
> wooo,so long to go to hotplug pci

Yes.  The hardest part would be to create a pci hot swap bridge
driver.  The interface for them tend to be underdocumented.

The bus_child_present is important for detaching.

Also, I think that we may need to start implementing a quiess method
to tell the drivers they are about to be removed.   For hot plug PCI,
the model is that you quess the driver, the os tells you somehow it is
safe, and then you remove the card.  The details vary (some system are
all in software, while others have a complicated interlock and LEDs),
but they are similar.  Cardbus is harder in some ways because cards
leave unannounced (in fact, there's not a good way to announce a card
leaving, but there should be).

Warner