Date:      Mon, 16 Dec 2002 06:49:34 +0100
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Rapha=EBl_Ding=E9?= <raphael.dinge@ohmforce.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X over ethernet is too much slow...

>> I've the following configuration :
>> - an ASUS mini-pc with FreeBSD on it, 900 MHz, 256 MBytes,
>> connected on an ethernet local network.
>> - 2 PC running Windows with X server via cygwin (each with
>> 1,4GHz Athlon CPU, 256 MBytes RAM)
>> - All of them are connected with a 100 Mbits switch.
>>
>> Basically in cygwin, I connect to the FreeBSD PC (where there is
>> loads of software) using ssh and exporting display to the PCs
>> running Windows.
>>
>> This works great, but when there are pictures to load over the
>> network, it takes a really long time to do. For example if I
>> start rt2_demo (railroad tycoon 2 demo, available on ports),
>> picture takes about 2 seconds to load. This is a kind of extreme
>> test, since games usually contains nothing but pictures.

I've been using another configuration where I switched from ssh
to a complete xdcmp system.
so in normal desktop environment it is quite perfect.

I found that increasing sendspace & rscvspace for tcp in
sysctl.conf did not change anything, and my thought is that it's
got something to be with udp/tcp.

Any thoughts on what could affect X performance so much with tcp ?
Did I misconfigured something ?

Thanks,

Raphael