Date:      13 Nov 1995 06:01:36 +0800
From:      peter@haywire.dialix.com (Peter Wemm)
To:        freebsd-bugs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bin/816

hsu@clinet.fi (Heikki Suonsivu) writes:
>David Greenman writes:
> > Synopsis: fsck -y ignores clean flag
> >
> > State-Changed-From-To: open-closed
> > State-Changed-By: davidg
> > State-Changed-When: Sat Nov 11 05:17:30 PST 1995
> > State-Changed-Why:
> >    It's intentional that the clean bit is only consulted when "preening". The
> > proper solution to this is to simply specify -p -y.

>With -p most of things which need the -y flag are considered fatal and fsck
>will exit.  Thus this is not a solution, it still would require me drive
>down there to run the fsck manually.

>What I'm searching for:
>- run check for the news file system only if it is not clean, and all
>problems fixable by fsck will be fixed
>- all other file systems are fsck'd normally (with -p, without -y).

>This would allow me to reboot the system without forced fsck on news file
>system (15+ minutes), and will allow the system to reboot automatically in
>case of panic.

Hmm. Perhaps:
stick a "rw,async,noauto" in your fstab file for the news filesystem,
then do something like this in /etc/rc:

mount -a -t nonfs
if [ $? != 0 ]; then
  ... existing code ...
fi

# Retry mounting /news if necessary.
mount /news
if [ $? != 0 ]; then
  fsck -y /dev/rwherever
  mount /news
fi

That way, it'll 'fsck -y' if the mount failed, and if it fails after
that, it'll continue booting (so you can telnet to the machine to then
fsdb it.. :-).  INN will safely not start up if the spool is not
there.

-Peter