Date:      Sat, 24 Jul 1999 11:48:44 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
To:        Radu-Cristian FOTESCU <rfotescu@idsrom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What to tell to Linux-centric people?!

On Fri, 23 Jul 1999, Radu-Cristian FOTESCU wrote:

> Hi, dear advocates :-)
>
> Now, I'm asking myself what to tell to Linux users that are asking me...
>
> 1. Why Linux has bash as default and FreeBSD csh? They want "command
> history" with ARROWS, not with "!".

Because bash is gpl, Linux distros have no problems using a
non-standard, bloated and all out irritating shell for the system
shell, whereas FreeBSD deos the right thing and allows you to
install zsh from the ports or packages system with absolutely zero
problems.

cd /usr/ports/shells/zsh ; make install

> 2. Why Linux has "ls-color" by default and FreeBSD doesn't? [please excuse
> me if I'm wrong, but I haven't seen FreeBSD since 30 months ago, I can't
> install it now, only Linux boxes are available here and for the moment I
> don't own a PC!]

Because it's not all that useful, other than that, i'm not quite sure,
perhaps it lacks other features that the system's ls has.

> 3. What is the performance loss when running Linux apps under emulation in
> FreeBSD [assuming no sources are available].

According to some Linux apps actually run _faster_ under FreeBSD's
emulation, however  I'm not that optimistic and find that it can
go either way, sometimes faster, sometimes slower, usually it's
just not noticeable.

> 4. Why _nobody_ is making a site like "http://www.linuxapps.com/" for the
> *BSD system(s) in order to find easier apps?

Because we have:

http://www.freebsd.org/ports/

> Even images with the BSD daemon are impossible to find in sizes and formats
> that would make them suitable for a wallpaper or something like that...

I hate to say this, but the kind of questions your friends are
asking probably mean they are somewhat incompatible with the FreeBSD
mindset, there isn't a question here that is about any real issue
(except emulation) they're mostly interested in eye-candy which
can be much more easily served up by Windows 98 and some lame screen
savers. :)

People who are admant that thier unix disto has "color-ls" are a waste
of your time as an advocate, they'll never really get it.

-Alfred Perlstein - [bright@rush.net|bright@wintelcom.net]
systems administrator and programmer
    Win Telecom - http://www.wintelcom.net/