Date:      Wed, 7 Aug 2002 19:34:52 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   amd help

Hello.

I try to allow a user on a local FreeBSD 4.6 workstation to mount its
own CDROM/DVD.

It is not suitable to allow mounts via root access, so I thought AMD
cpuld be the best solution.

I'm really new to amd and therefor I appreciate any hint or tip.

My primary intention is to allow a simple CDROM mount by a user by
inserting the CDROM and dismounting the CDROM after a while of inactivity.
I found a lot of stuff in the newsgroups, but I haver some trouble in
understanding what amd tries to do.
It seems, that a device mount is only possible via the type:=program
option, but this does not work due to the fact I misunderstand how amd
tries to mount the device.

I have installed a simple standard /etc/amd.conf with this mapping row:

# DEFINE AN AMD MOUNT POINT
[/amd]
map_name =               amd.map

The appropriate amd.map file is located in /usr/local/etc/amd/amdmaps
and contains the following:

/defaults       host==stud09;opts:=ro,grpid,nosuid,intr,utimeout=12000

cdrom           fs:=/cdrom;dev:=/dev/acd0a;type:=program;\
                mount:="/sbin/mount -t cd9660 -o ro /dev/acd0a ${fs}";\
		unmount:="/sbin/umount ${fs}"

cdrw            fs:=/cdrw;dev:=/dev/acd1a;type:=program;\
		mount:="/sbin/mount -t cd9660 -o ro /dev/acd1a ${fs}";\
		unmount:="/sbin/umount ${fs}"

Intention is to mount CDROM on /cdrom when accessing /amd/cdrom. But
this seems to fail with an (Operation not permitted) failure message.

Can anyone help or has a fast solution for those problems?

Thanks.

--
MfG
O. Hartmann

ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de
IT-Administration des Institutes fuer Physik der Atmosphaere (IPA)
Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
Becherweg 21
55099 Mainz

Tel: +496131/3924662 (Maschinenraum)