Date:      Fri, 24 Sep 1999 10:36:13 +0300 (EEST)
From:      slava <sl@zeus.dnt.md>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   loosing users from master.passwd

Greetings,

I recently migrated a 10K user base from redhat to 3.3release.
It's a web  based email server where about four users are being
added every minute at the moment.

I had a problem pwd_mkdb being slow and I recompiled it to use 4mb cache
size as many of you suggested. Now a killer problem has showed up. About
ones a day I loose about half of the master.passwd file, I believe
when the .db files are rebult after a user is being added.

Users are added only by using 'pw' and 'chpass'. I made a test starting
five 'pw useradd' processes at once and after I repeated it a couple of
times I was able to reproduce the problem again. it looks like a lock
on the master.passwd file is not working properly. Right now I have to
backup the file every 10 min. to make sure I don't loose too much stuff.

I will be very appreciative for any suggestion on what to try to make
my system more stable. By the way, it's a PII 233, 64MB RAM.

Thank you,
slava revutchi