Date:      Mon, 21 May 2012 22:43:29 -0400
From:      Jason Hellenthal <jhellenthal@dataix.net>
To:        Jason Usher <jusher71@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, Garance A Drosehn <gad@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Need to revert behavior of OpenSSH to the old key order ...

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 02:26:27PM -0700, Jason Usher wrote:

> --- On Mon, 5/21/12, Garance A Drosehn <gad@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>
> > ???But have you tried it in this order ?
> >
> > ???HostKey /usr/local/etc/ssh/ssh_host_key
> > ???HostKey
> > /usr/local/etc/ssh/ssh_host_dsa_key
> > ???HostKey
> > /usr/local/etc/ssh/ssh_host_rsa_key
> > ???HostKey
> > /usr/local/etc/ssh/ssh_host_ecdsa_key
> >
> > Which is to say, have your sshd_config file list multiple
> > hostkey's, and then restart sshd after making that change?
> > I tried a similar change and it seemed to have some effect
> > on what clients saw when connecting, but I can't tell if
> > it has the effect that you want.
>

> The order of HostKey directives in sshd_config does not change the actual order.  In newer implementations, RSA is provided first, no matter how you configure the sshd_config.
>
> As I mentioned before, removing RSA completely is sort of a fix, but I can't do that because some people might actually be explicitly using RSA, and they would all break.
>
> Anyone ?

The problem to me seems to be on the client end. Where the new ssh
installation is attempting RSA authentication first rather than DSA and
your ssh server has just now caught up to the clients.

If I were you, I would just make an announcement providing the host
fingerprints to clients and asking them to update known_hosts
appropriately, rather than creating a virtual fix for sshd that you will
have to maintain yourself.

--