Date:      Wed, 11 Aug 1999 01:39:46 +0100
From:      Francis Jordan <frankrj@netscape.net>
To:        Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: wd0: interrupt timeout (status 58<rdy,seekdone,drq> error    1<no_dam>)

Soren Schmidt wrote:

> It seems Francis Jordan wrote:
> > /kernel: acd0: <UJDA150/1.02> CDROM drive at ata1 as master
> > /kernel: acd0: drive speed 4134KB/sec, 128KB cache
> > /kernel: acd0: supported read types: CD-R, CD-RW, CD-DA
> > /kernel: acd0: Audio: play, 256 volume levels
> > /kernel: acd0: Mechanism: ejectable tray
> > /kernel: acd0: Medium: CD-ROM unknown medium, unlocked
> > /kernel: ata_command: timeout waiting for interrupt
> >
> > ----------------------^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >
> > It happens everytime I boot.  What does the last line mean, and why does
> > it appear?  BTW, there's an audio CD in the CD-ROM drive, so it's not
> > exactly "unknown" medium.  What can I do to help fix this?
>
> I assume you only have those two devices on the ide channels right ??
> Then the problem is that the CDROM drive doesn't respond proberly
> to a command, in fact it doesn't respond at all, there is no interrupt.
> Have you tried another CDROM drive ?? This smells alot like substandard
> hardware.

Yes, HDD on the primary, CD-ROM on the secondary controller.  This is a
notebook I'm talking about, so I haven't tried any other CD-ROM drives.
If it doesn't respond at all, then how do you get all the other
information, such as supported read types, speed, etc?  Perhaps there is
some other way of making this particular CD-ROM drive generate an
interrupt?  Of course, it's just a minor annoyance (and otherwise I'm
very pleased with the driver's performance - many thanks to SOS), but if
the new ATA driver were to eventually replace the old one, it's not a
bad idea to try and get rid of as many silly error messages as possible.

Is there just one standard that all ATAPI CD-ROM drives must comply
with, or can there be variations?  I apologize if this is a silly
question.

Frank