Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 1995 12:53:06 -0700
From:      Paul Traina <pst@cisco.com>
To:        John Capo <jc@irbs.com>
Cc:        avalon@cheops.anu.edu.au, security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IP Filter version 2.8

Ah, it seems that the world may have changed again.  I thought Darren had
made it shareware.

Paul

  From: John Capo <jc@irbs.com>
  Paul Traina writes:

  > Should we be incorporating Darren's new code into FreeBSD?  It makes
  > more sense to do that than to continue with Ugen's work on top of
  > the old code.

  I hacked it into the kernel last night.  Its pretty nice.  Good
  logging, test suite, no console printf's.  I vote yes.

  > However, I know that Darren has license issues that need to be resolved.
  > Is there some way we can get this good code into the base distribution of
  > FreeBSD in a fashion that will be acceptable to both him and us?

  I don't see that in his license.

  /*
   * (C)opyright 1993, 1994, 1995 by Darren Reed.
   *
   * The author accepts no responsibility for the use of this software and
   * provides it on an ``as is'' basis without express or implied warranty.
   *
   * Redistribution and use in source and binary forms are permitted
   * provided that this notice is preserved and due credit is given
   * to the original author and the contributors.
   *
   * MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
   *
   * I hate legaleese, don't you ?
   */

  John Capo