Date:      Sun, 15 Mar 1998 21:04:55 +0100
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        scsi freebsd <freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Harry Patterson <toj@gorillanet.gorilla.net>
Subject:   Re: CTT8000-S problems solved

As Harry Patterson wrote:

> What does FreeBSD offer to identify these type of IRQ conflicts?

It doesn't register conflicting drivers at all.  There's no driver for
the conflicting USB however, so FreeBSD stood no chance of seeing the
problem.  Blame the USB hardware for clamping the IRQ line high even
if not being in active use at all.

>  What do I
> use to back up the entire disk

dump always works filesystem-wise.  Call it twice (with the non-rewind
tape device, /dev/nrst0) in order to dump two filesystems.

> and how do I determine the optimum parameters
> for dump, including blocksize (-b 32),  for my drive?

The default blocksize is probabably reasonable enough.  You can pipe
the output through team(1) (from the ports collection) in order to
improve the streaming behaviour.  In theory, this might bogotify the
end-of-tape detection (and dump's prompting for a new tape), but in
practice the end-of-tape signalling of the st(4) driver is broken
anyway.  (As a consequence, ``dump ... -a'' doesn't work.)

In -current, someone might rewrite dump to use AIO, as far as i
understand, this should have the same effect as piping the data stream
through team(1).

--
cheers, J"org