Date:      Mon, 13 Nov 2006 15:38:53 +0100
From:      Olivier Houchard <mlfbsd@ci0.org>
To:        John Hay <jhay@meraka.org.za>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Gateworks 2348 any experience with it?

On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 04:01:11PM +0200, John Hay wrote:
> Hi Olivier,
>
> > > I have been lurking on -arm for a while and have been reading the
> > > archives and some of the web sites:
> > >
> > > http://www.freebsd.org/platforms/arm.html
> > > http://www.embeddedfreebsd.org/boards.html
> > >
> > > But I'm still not sure how far / useable the FreeBSD arm port is. Anybody
> > > care to comment?
> > >

> > It works. It's still not perfect, and has still a few glitches, but it works.
> >
> > > We are looking at ways to build a 3 radio wifi system and have been
> > > wondering if I can consider an arm system and how much work will
> > > have to be done. We have been using Soekris and Wrap boards for a
> > > long time, so I am used to the small i386 part of FreeBSD.
> > >
> > > One of the boards I have been looking at is the Gateworks 2348, which
> > > is a 533MHz IXP425 with 64M Ram, 4 x Mini-pci slots and a CF Socket.
> > >
> > > http://www.gateworks.com/avila_gw2348_4.htm
> > >
> > > So will I be able to just use it or how much work will still have to
> > > be done and on which parts?
> > >

> > You won't be able to use it yet, however ongoing work is done to support it.
> > So far the PCI bus works, and hopefully the embedded ethernet controller will
> > work soon, too. Other things on the board such as the i2c bus isn't supported
> > yet, but if you need it it shouldn't be too hard to get it.
>
> So how unusable is it at the moment? I managed to get the work to buy
> a couple and will take it home to play with. Where do one start? I see
> the docs that come with the board says that it has redboot on, so does
> that mean I can boot it over the ethernet?

It's quite usable. We know have support for the ethernet controller. Work
is going on, and CF IDE support is almost there.
Yes, you can boot it over the thernet.

> And is the mini-install guide that the FreeBSD arm web site take about
> (http://people.freebsd.org/~cognet/freebsd_arm.txt) still how it should
> be done? I have noticed that a lot of arm code found its way into the
> FreeBSD cvs tree. Is it possible to start from there yet?

Yes, except you don't need the to apply the patches anymore. However, the
code for gateway support is not in CVS yet, only perforce, it will go into
CVS very soon, however.

> Who is working on the ethernet driver? Is that code available somewhere
> yet?

Sam Leffler did most on the work on the ethernet driver. You can browse the
perforce repo by http here :
http://perforce.freebsd.org/depotTreeBrowser.cgi?FSPC=//depot/projects/arm/src/sys/arm/xscale/ixp425&HIDEDEL=NO

Cheers,

Olivier