Date:      Sun, 4 May 1997 17:44:07 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        joes@spiritone.com (Joseph Stein)
Subject:   Re: Help with merging in local changes with CVS etc...

As Joseph Stein wrote:

> I know I will need to maintain a copy of the full CVS repository, but
> how do I ensure that the change will remain in effect after further
> changes (pulled in with CVSup)?

Are you sure you really want to check it into your CVS?  I think the
cvsup documentation in the handbook mentions how this would to be
done, though i'm not familiar with it either.

Normally, you don't need to do this however (unless you're going to
develop the ppa driver further on, but in this case, i'd rather
acquire you as the official FreeBSD maintainer :).  If you just apply
the modifications to your tree, subsequent `cvs update' operations
will try its best to maintain your local changes to the checked out
tree.  I think i've got some 20+ files in my kernel source tree that
differ from the official versions, and a few files outside the kernel.
I sometimes commit the changes once they `matured' (see the syslogd
commit yesterday), sometimes i don't commit them since they are
unclean and need more work, some of the changes are purely local
(e.g. i've totally ripped off rm'ing the old compile directory from
config(8) since bothered me once too many).

--
cheers, J"org