Date:      Thu, 06 Nov 2003 18:46:51 -0600
From:      "Chris" <bsdnewbie@coolarrow.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   4.9-RELEASE jails and named

Greetings,

I have a server which will host 3 websites, and is assigned a single local=
 IP address (one from the 192.168.x.x group). I created 3 jails which are=
 up and running, and each website will be contained entirely within it's=
 own jail. The jail hostname reflects the domain of the website it will=
 host. The only daemons running in each jail (for now) are cron and sshd,=
 and each jail has a single wheel user. Some might call this the beginnings=
 of a virtual server?

This host server runs named. For now, I tell my home computer to use the=
 host server's public IP address as my only DNS server, so I can access (in=
 theory) each jail/website by name.

I enabled named in rc.conf, then created named.conf, then created zone=
 files for the server, the 3 jails/websites, and reverse DNS. This process=
 was rather complicated, and somewhere along the way I have configured=
 something wrong.

The way the zones are set up for the jails/websites, when I ping from my=
 home computer, it resolves the name to the host server IP and pings it=
 just fine. But if I try to ssh to the jail/website by name, it ends up=
 ssh'ing to the host server. The only way I found to ssh into the=
 jail/website was to first ssh into the host server, then from there I=
 could ssh to the jail/website by using it's local IP address.

At least pings from the outside world can get to the host server.... but=
 once at the host server, how do I get that traffic routed to the correct=
 jail/website (local IP address)?

This is much tougher than I expected, and after hours of trial and error=
 trying to self-teach myself how to do this, I digress... I must once again=
 ask for help from the experts. All assistance is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Chris